The Southern Cross Housing Code of Conduct is underpinned by our values which are to be:
This Code of Conduct provides guidance on the responsibilities of our organisation, our employees and any third party acting on our behalf.
Each individual who is a part of our organisation is expected to take responsibility for their own actions.
There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Doing business in an ethical manner and in accordance with our key values is vital to Southern Cross Housing’s success. Applying this Code of Conduct ensures our organisation maintains a high ethical standard in our dealings which reinforces one of our key assets, our reputation.
Southern Cross Housing is committed to providing a safe and satisfying working environment in which everyone is treated fairly, with respect, and where employment decisions are based on merit.
Southern Cross Housing’s key commitments to our employees are to:
- Provide clear and fair terms of employment;
- Provide clean, healthy and safe working conditions;
- Remunerate fairly;
- Abide by the Equal Opportunity Policy which aims to ensure equality and diversity for all present and potential employees and not to discriminate on the grounds of disability, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or political opinions;
- Encourage employees to develop skills and progress in their careers; and
- Abide by our zero tolerance of any sexual, physical, or mental harassment or any other bullying of our employees.
Southern Cross Housing expects all employees to:
- Comply with the letter and spirit of the law.
- Maintain strict observance of company policies, rules and procedures including the reporting of improper or unethical behaviours (including any breach of this Code);
- Declare conflicts of interest and not let dealings on behalf of Southern Cross Housing be influenced, or appear to be influenced, by personal or family interests.
- Respect Southern Cross Housing’s ownership of all company equipment, supplies, books, records and proprietary information, including manuals and any other material.
- Not accept additional outside employment unless approved by the company.
- Not use information or authority derived from employment with Southern Cross Housing for personal gain.
- Preserve confidential information about employees and any other information that is not public knowledge. Confidential information must only be used in the ordinary course of business; and
- Report to management any possible violation of any law or regulations.
- Not behave in a way that may damage the reputation of SCH at any time while representing SCH, either during or after working hours.
We are all responsible for Southern Cross Housing maintaining the highest standards of ethical business conduct.
Southern Cross Housing’s key commitments to our tenants are to:
- Act honestly and fairly in our relationships with them.
- Provide services to the standards that have been agreed upon.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of services we provide.
- Not engage in bribery or corruption.
- Act with respect for individual rights to freedom of expression, self-determination and
decision-making in accordance with applicable laws and conventions.
- Respect the privacy of all tenants.
- Provide services in a safe and competent manner, with care and skill.
- Promptly take steps to raise and act on concerns about matters that may impact the quality
and safety of services provided to tenants; take all reasonable steps to prevent and respond to all forms of violence, exploitation, neglect and abuse of, or sexual misconduct towards vulnerable tenants.
Southern Cross Housing’s key commitments to our suppliers and contractors are to:
- Act honestly and fairly in our business relationships.
- Not engage in bribery or corruption.
- Encourage suppliers and contractors to abide by the principles of our Code of Conduct; and
- Endeavour to only procure goods and services from those organisations demonstrating good ethical practice.
The protection of stakeholder’s investment made in Southern Cross Housing is paramount. Southern Cross Housing is committed to the honest, accurate and timely communication to its stakeholders. No information may be concealed from our auditors, and no director, officer or employee may take action to influence, coerce, manipulate, or mislead the company’s auditors for the purpose of rendering the financial statements misleading.
Our key commitment to funders and the broader financial community includes the:
- Exercise of the highest standard of care in preparing the company’s financial statements.
- Delivery of value through sustainable and efficient operation of Southern Cross Housing.
- Sound reporting and risk management practices; and
- Accurate and timely disclosure.
Southern Cross Housing aspires to support our community and the environment. Our goal is to provide lasting social, environmental and economic benefits to society. We strive towards the implementation and maintenance of management systems for sustainable development that drive continual improvement.
Southern Cross Housing’s key commitments to our community and the environment include:
- Contributing to making the communities, in which Southern Cross Housing operates, better places to live.
- Being sensitive to local communities’ cultural, social and economic needs.
- Endeavouring to support ethical trade in our purchasing practices; and
- Protecting the environment in terms of Southern Cross Housing’s use of resources and minimisation of waste and pollution.